How do you simulate time in z/OS with time dimensional testing–especially if you want to ensure the accuracy of time-sensitive applications?
One way is to use IBM® HourGlass, a leading z/OS® clock simulator for testing mainframe applications. The features and flexibility of HourGlass promote more accurate and reliable application testing. The software offers the ability to coordinate full functionality across time zones. HourGlass can simulate past, present, or future dates and times without changing application code or computing environments.
HourGlass time dimensional testing capabilities allows you to alter the Date/Time returned to a z/OS application when a time request is made (SVC 11, PC Time Requests, or MVS STCKSYNC) by specifying patterns or specific applications, transactions, users, and address space names.
Some of the benefits of IBM HourGlass include the ability to:
Simulate date and time processing to step up the thoroughness of your application testing efforts.
Coordinate reporting and data transfer between San Francisco, Chicago, and New York—across cities, across time zones.
Alter the Date/Time returned to a z/OS application
- Utilize time dimensional testing for more reliable application development.
- Initiate accurate date handling for online transaction processing to support banking, financial, healthcare, inventory management, insurance, utility and other customer-facing applications.
- Take advantage of CICS® Transaction Server in support of time-dimensional testing in IBM CICS Open Transaction Environment (OTE).
- Use the HourGlass CICS Batch Time Management process to set the HourGlass date/time for a CICS region.
Simulate date and time processing
- Run tests simultaneously using a different system date.
- Maintain each user’s view of the system date without affecting other users.
- Set the IMS IOPCB date and time fields to any requested date and time without having to re-link the application.
- Test time-sensitive applications to avoid costly risks to the outcome.
Coordinate reporting and data transfers
- Allows CICS users to set the EIBDATE field.
- Extends accurate time and date functionality regardless of time zone.
- Identifies applications that request the system date and time, helping to resolve potential problems before they occur.
To learn more about IBM® HourGlass software, visit IBM on the web.
About the Author:
Matthew Emmons is part of IBM’s Icing product support and project management team.