Recently, IBM Systems sponsored a lunch session called “Making Enterprise Blockchain a Reality” for more than 500 people at the Venetian in Las Vegas during the Gartner Data Center, Infrastructure & Operations Management Conference. IBM z Systems and LinuxONE general manager Ross Mauri, led an informative 40-minute session that explored IBM solutions in the year ahead. Here are a few highlights from his talk:
- Cognitive solutions will be at the heart of everything we do
- Advanced analytics and key data sets will continue to be integrated into all leading solutions
- New solutions will be built on the cloud and all offerings will be cloud-enabled
- IBM will continue to build the industry’s premier cloud stack, developer environment and secure hybrid cloud platform
- Industry context is important to the value of IBM’s solutions — they will be built for individual industries — all of which will be based on our agility to refresh our skills and increase the speed at which we innovate and take collaborating to the next level
IBM’s Ross Mauri introduced blockchain, which is fast becoming one of the most disruptive technologies in the IT world, and one that many clients are now looking to bring into their business. He welcomed to the stage the co-author of the best selling book Blockchain Revolution by Alex Tapscott.
Alex Tapscott discussed a clear vision and understanding of blockchain technology and shared how it is likely to have a great impact on our future world (more so than the social web, big data, robotics, the Internet of Things, the cloud, robotics or even artificial intelligence). He advised how IT leaders need to embrace the current paradigm shift and how to take the right steps to start a next generation blockchain architecture project.
IBM Fellow Donna Dillengerger also presented, sharing exactly how IBM is helping many clients to do just what Alex Tapscott described.
The lunch session wrapped with the opening of the solution center and a book signing. Many attendees just wanted to stop by and chat personally with book author Alex Tapscott.
For more information on IBM and blockchain, visit IBM on the web.
About the Author: Jacqui Shawley (or ‘Jax’ to her friends) is part of the IBM z Systems worldwide marketing team. Ms. Shawley is a career marketing professional with over 20 years’ experience marketing high-tech products. Ms. Shawley has lead innovative marketing programs for IBM servers and software, including IBM z Systems, LinuxONE™ and DB2. Currently, Ms. Shawley is Worldwide Global Marketing Manager for IBM z Systems and LinuxONE.
She has blogged on high-tech websites including Mainframe Debate and here on Mainframe Insights.
Follow Ms. Shawley on Twitter for live conference updates @jacquishawley